Cover and Dust Jacket Template
If you are doing a printed graphic cover, there are certain measurements and dimensions that need to be considered in your layout including spine thickness and wrap. To simplify this for you we have provided an on-line cover template and dust jacket template. You choose the paper type you are using for your text(80# gloss, 60# natural or 60# white), enter the finished book size(8.5 x 11, 6 x 9, etc) and the number of pages in your book. The printable templates will show all the dimensions you need to lay out your cover or just jacket and make sure it’s sized properly before submitting the file to us.
If you want a printed cover and need help designing the cover we can help you design your book cover. There are two options.
You are designing your cover:
- You need to make sure you allow for the thickness of the spine and the extra that wraps around the edge of the cover. Use our cover template and dust jacket template to help you lay out the cover.
- Based on the template set up your cover file in the program you are using with these dimensions
- Design your cover and submit your file
Note: We suggest you do not use a border design or a design that requires a border like design around the front or back covers. For example, you want a thin border ½” from the edge of the cover. Due to the binding process, if a border around the cover is set up that would be ½” from the edge of the cover after binding, that border may look uneven after binding due to the slight changes that take place during the binding process.
Have the PrintMyGenealogy design your cover:
- For an additional charge of $100 our graphic artists will provide you two different cover design options to choose from. The cost includes mailing a sample of each cover to you. If you choose one of the designs we will use that cover on you book. If you want other changes made to those covers or request two new designs, an additional $100 charge would apply .
- If you need additional copies of your book reprinted at a later time, we would use the same file used from the first printing and there would be no additional charge.
- Additional charges on reprints apply if you make any changes to the previous cover file.
If you are placing an order for standard sized books with our standard options, you will upload all of your files during the ordering process. These files would include text and could also include cover, dust jacket and black and white art for stamping dies.
However, if you are placing an order for a non-standard book, you will be uploading your files to our FTP site . After mailing your order for non-standard books, contact our customer service for instructions on how to access the FTP site and upload your files.
Converting Files to PDF File Format
We print from PDF files and prefer you submit print ready PDF(portable document format) files. However, if you can’t, or you want us to convert your files, to PDF files, we can do that for you. There is a charge for this service. If you place your order and the files you submit are not PDF files, the charge for the file conversion will be included in your final cost. Please review which file formats we can accept . This area discusses how to convert and what programs to use to convert your file into a PDF file. It also lists what other file formats we can accept if you want us to do the conversion.
Non Standard Size Books
Our normal standard size books are 8.5 x 11, 7 x 10, 6 x 9 and 5.5 x 8.5(all shown are width x height). Our standard paper stock is 60# white, 60# natural and 80# gloss. If you want to do a book that is a size other than this(such as oblong), a paper other than this, or a book that is over 1,000 pages, please contact // and give them all the information about the book you are interested in doing including size( w x h), number of pages, stock, type of cover and if die stamping wanted, and any other information, special instructions, services that you want us to provide and any other information that may be important. Your quote will be emailed back to you within 48 hours. If we have any questions about your information we will contact you via your return email for clarification and then provide the quote to you.